Saturday, June 30, 2012

Plans unfolding at my feet, pt. 3

          Since I first started praying about going on this trip God has been slowly and continually unveiling my eyes to see the path that He is laying before me and to behold the plans that He is unfolding before my feet. Little by little He has been revealing to me His sacred plan for my life in intricate detail. He is taking the blinds off my eyes and allowing me to see.

        I have always wondered why God would make me to be a quiet, shy, “background” girl who is nervous and uncomfortable around crowds and strangers, just to scoop me up and put me in a different country surrounded by crowds of strangers. To me, that never seemed like the best idea. I mean, I wanted to go, but I had absolutely no idea how I was going to be able to fulfill the things He asked of me when I had these characteristics that I had considered “character flaws” in a missionary.  It never made sense to me until now.
        Being with these children I now realize that they don’t need a talker, many of them just need a listener. They need someone who will just sit there and let them talk. That is my natural inclination. Someone who will be a quiet sense of support and encouragement without feeling the need to talk. That is my personality.  Someone who will catch on to their hurt right away and be in prayer for them without trying to “help” them talk through it. That’s the way I am. Someone who will love them for who they are and befriend them out of love. That is my heart for these kids. 

        I now see that God has supplied me with the very characteristics that are needed when I am to be working with hurting orphans. These children need someone they can sit with to receive love and support.  For many of these children, they are still trying to work through their hurt and overcome their pain. They are still searching for a different kind of love, a love that only Christ can give them. While I cannot give them that, I can still be that quiet supporter who is there to love them and receive them with open arms just as Christ does. I can be there to help point them towards God and help them see and experience His love. I can be another tool in their lives to help deepen their relationships with God and help them come to know Him as their loving, caring Heavenly Father.

           I realize now that God knew exactly what He was doing when He made me this way. Though for many years I have wondered at His “odd” choice of personality for me, I now see that He had a reason for giving me these characteristics. Even when He was still forming my character, He was looking ahead and molding me into the person that is most needed by the orphans I will be working with. My life is an example to me that God does not make mistakes, especially when He is shaping His children into the adults He wants them to be. He always has a plan, and a purpose for everything. “Not without design does God write the music of our lives. Be it ours to learn the tune and not be dismayed at the ‘rests’.-John Ruskin

                                                               “For the glory of God!”
        “ I know that everything God does will remain forever; there is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it, for God has so worked that men should fear Him.”
 Ecclesiastes 3:14

No comments:

Post a Comment