Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 9: Only in Africa……

           Lions and cheetahs and elephants, oh my! Yes, that is what my day has entailed. I will suffice to say that I have had an incredible day!! I have gone on a safari, very nearly had a huge male elephant charge our car, came close to causing an elephant stampede, petted a large male lion and lioness, ridden an elephant, and walked a cheetah. Only in Africa can you spend your day like that!!

          We started our day with the safari, where we saw nearly all the African animals there are.  At one point we were even nearly surrounded by a herd of elephants, but the herd leader was nervous about us and looked like he wanted to charge. He even stepped toward us a couple of times. At 2 o’clock we went on a ‘lion walk’, where we got to walk with and pet a lion and lioness! That is something you can only do in Africa!! Petting a lion is something I have always wanted to do, so it was such a special moment for me, when I got to touch Simba and Shungoo for the first time!

        After we finished with the lions we got to ride some elephants. That was really neat to be able to ride such a large and unique creature! It felt like riding a huge horse! When our elephant ride was over, we were able to hang out with the cheetahs. Cheetahs are such gentle, docile creatures that they let us pet them anywhere we wanted. When they got antsy we took them for a walk. Literally a walk. We put them on a leash and walked them around a trail for an hour. I got to walk Lilly, a large female cheetah who usually dislikes women, but for some reason, today she made an exception and allowed us to bond with her.

         Today was such an incredible day that I know I will always remember it. People don’t just walk cheetahs down the street, ride elephants in the park, or play with lions in their everyday life. Stuff like that just doesn’t happen back in the states! Only in Africa can you make such amazing memories about such incredible things. This day was truly a once in a life time event!

           Getting to hang out with some of these amazing animals that God made, truly made this trip, this day, a memorable day that I will never forget as long as I live. I mean after all, how often is it that a US city girl gets to do these things? Only when you’re in Africa. 


                                       “For the glory of God!”

1 comment:

  1. I love the photos! Praying for the rest of your time there!

    ReplyDelete