Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 4: Lusaka houses 1-2

            Well, today was day 4 in Zambia. Apparently Tuesdays-Fridays are the ‘real’ work days while Mondays are slower days that are used for running errands, grocery shopping, taking inventory, and bookkeeping. So we interns didn’t have anything to so all morning. Finally, around noon, we went and did our own grocery shopping while we waited for the kids to get out of school.

            So, after we got back to the office we waited around until the kids were out of school, then we all heading down to meet some of our Lusaka kids.  Seeing these kids struck a totally different feeling in my heart.  The Chongwe houses are out in the country with plenty of space, and they appear to be a little more well off then these sweet children in Lusaka. The part of Lusaka that homes 1 and 2 (the one’s we visited today) are located in, is the more run down, poor, part of town. Walking through the streets there is litter, glass, and dogs everywhere. Children run ramped through the streets, children in dirty, torn, occasionally oversized cloths, children who look like they have not had a bath in months!

            Then when we met our kids they were shy, and hesitant to open up. Behind their smiles I sense their pain and sorrow. This pain and sorrow I did not see in the long term Changwe kids. This is the pain of their loss and all they've been through since. Seeing such deep pain in the eyes of these children..and some of them being very young, yanks on my heart strings and makes me ache for them! I just want to take them in my arms and wash away all that pain, but I know that only God can do that.

             Today I saw first hand the hurt, impoverishment, and need that these people have, and it made me all the more resolute in my promise to follow through with God’s call, and reach out to the needy in Africa. Clearly God has called me to work with African orphans, and nothing can be more clear to me then that the only thing for me to do with my life is be here among these people, on the continent of Africa for as long as I can be of service to my King and the orphans. God has given me my marching orders and as a soldier of Christ, I go. Into the battle, into the fray, wherever He deems, lead me He may!

                                    “For the glory of God!!”

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you are feeling so affirmed in your call to Africa

    ReplyDelete