Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 3: My first Sunday in Zambia

         Well, today was my first Sunday in Africa, and due to not being able to find out what time church starts, we elected to go to the café instead while we search the internet to find the right time. We asked a couple people, and each of them said a different time so rather then walk in late, where everybody will already notice us since we’re Americans, we all went to the café where I was again able to Skye my family.

        My sweet parents and sister have gotten up at 1am for two days to see me, and this morning my grandma and one of my brothers joined them. It has been so sweet and special to me to get to see their faces again. I am so blessed to have family like them who are wiling to get up at 1am to see me.

           One of the things I discovered today, is that it’s not uncommon for the public restrooms to run out of toilet paper. Something that seldom happens back in the states, yet the workers did not seem surprised or taken aback but it. They acted as though that is a common occurrence. Then I discovered that some people leave their bathroom stalls unlocked, so that people like me think those stalls are vacant! Very embarrassing!

         After we left the café, we went to the Mandahill mall where we walked around for awhile, looking at all the stores. When we were ready to head home for the night we called our taxi driver, only to discover that he had forgotten he had to pick us up and was headed out to Changwe…which is about a 30 minute drive from Lusaka.

              After our Zambian director had called anther driver for us, we sat around waiting nearly an hour for him. When he finally got to Mandahill mall, we went through several calls trying to help him understand where we were. Finally, during the last call he abruptly hung up and my fellow intern Christina was angrily telling us he had hung up when we turned around only to find him standing there. Apparently while he was talking he had see us standing there and had hung up since he’d found us. Then while he was taking us home, we got him so confused on where to go that we had to again call our director for directions to the college where we are staying. So that is how my interesting day in the city of Lusaka went today.

           I have to say, I found it really neat to see how far God has brought these people, and how much technology has impacted their lives. God is such a huge part of these people’s lives, and it has been amazing for me to witness first hand how some of my fellow Christians in Africa worship our Creator. I now know that I will potentially learn a lot from these people, if I will just sit back and let God teach me. This summer is going to be a huge growing process for me, and I eagerly await each new lesson that the Lord is going to teach me.     

                                    “For the gory of God!!”

“Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.”

Isaiah 60:1

No comments:

Post a Comment