Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 5: Smart thieves and stolen passports

         Today was day 5 in Zambia, and it just wasn’t a very good day at all. Being another slow morning at the of office, we all headed down to the internet café, La Mimosa.  We were going to cash some of our American money for Zambian money in case we wanted to by something, so I had grabbed my passport and wallet and put them in the bag with my laptop. While at the café we were all blogging, so my ‘empty” laptop bag was sitting on the ground next to our table…just like we’ve always done. However, when we got up to leave, I discovered that my bag was gone.  We searched everywhere, but it was no use, it was gone. Someone had stolen my bag.
          After hashing over how something like that could possibly have happened with all of us around the table,  we all realized exactly how it happened. All four of us girls remember seeing a suspicious looking waiter come over to our table and bend over as if he had dropped something, but we thought nothing of it until later.  So, whoever this man was, he obviously took off with my bag and all my important documents.
            We went to the police headquarters and filed a report for both the license and the passport. Thank God, the man who helped us was a Christian, so he gave us both papers for free, stating that he was doing so in “the name of Jesus for these missionaries”. While we were there, he also told us that some of the “honest” thieves will mail the documents back to the address that is on them..which in this case would be home…all the way over in the U.S.  Seeing as I still need a passport while I’m here, I will need to apply for a new one. So, first thing tomorrow morning we are heading down to the American embassy to start the process for a new passport. We shall see what he Lord will do.
                                    “For the glory of God!”
“…’Be strong; fear not!  Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.”
Isaiah 35:4

No comments:

Post a Comment