Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Zambia 2013: week 2

  As of yesterday I have been here 2 full weeks and things have been very busy. Last Wednesday we finished most of the sponsorship letters with the help of the Chongwe homes coordinator, Ba Abigail. Now that those are done I am working on some World Help forms along with some scheduled activities for Chongwe and Lusaka. Usually I'm up by 6:15 every morning and have the office mopped and cleaned by 8 o'clock.

     Between 8-9 the staff starts showing up and once they're all here we have staff devotions together. After that we all go about our day. Every morning I spend a few hours at the office helping where needed, emailing and reading, then around 1pm I head to the Lusaka homes where I spend the rest of the day. I usually don't head back to the office until 5:30-6. After I finish up my duties at the homes I spend the rest of the time hanging out with the kids. Some of my duties include weekly Bible studies with all the Lusaka homes, working on sponsorship things, helping train the camp translators and whatever other odds and ends need done.

   In a typical week I spend Monday, Tuesday and Thursday working at the Lusaka homes and Wednesday and Friday out in Chongwe. On the weekends we have a girls slumber party with Auntie Shelbie, so the girls from 2 homes come spend the night with me here at the office. We do a devotional, play games, eat some snacks and watch a movie. Starting this week we'll be having a guys game day on Saturday afternoons in which we'll also start the afternoon with a devotional then spend a few hours playing games. On Sundays I usually go to church with the Lusaka kids then head over to their homes in the afternoon to spend the day with them.

   In the midst of all this busyness God has really been at work in my life. He has been teaching me new things every day and I am learning to look for Him in each day, in every little thing I do. He has been working on my heart in so many ways. I am humbled to be able to serve such a great God and to be here doing the work He has called me to do. Every day as I look at how great He is I am struck with wonder at how He could use me for his purpose and every day He reminds me anew of His unending grace and sovereignty in and over my life. Such a great God we serve, words cannot describe His majesty and power!! To Him be all the glory forever and ever!

“For the glory of God!”

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelbie it's Steven well it sounds like your 2 weeks have been very busy and I'm guessing this is all without coffee? Continue to trust in the Lord's Spirit for it's not by strength nor by might but by His Spirit says the Lord. That is my prayer for myself that His Spirit would trully live in me. Those were some nice pictures of you and the kids.
    May the Lord's Spirit rest deeply in your heart.

    ReplyDelete