Thursday, April 18, 2013

Only in Africa

      Only in Africa......
1. Do you drive with live chickens in the back of the van, then 4 hours later eat the same chicken for lunch

2. Will you eat lunch next to a bowl of chicken guts

3. Is a 3 hour church service considered short

4. Will you narrowly avoid hitting or being hit by another car twice in one week

5. Is 85mph considered slow

6. Will you ask how tight someone's belt is in reference to how busy their day is

7. Is it a common sight to see a skinned animal hanging from a shack roof

8.  Will you walk down the road with children running after you yelling, "Munzungu, munzungu!!" 

9. Will you see a man riding his bike down the road with a small couch on the back

10. Is it a common sight to see a pickup truck bed packed with 20+ people

       Just a few of the common, everyday occurrences in a little place called Zambia. <3 Though these things don't just happen in Zambia, I like to say "only in Africa" because this is the only place I've ever experienced them. I love all these random little sights that we see here, the strange things we do and the lack of timing here. I love the chitanges, the markets, the scent, the sights and the people of Zambia. I love waking each morning to the thrill of a new day in Africa and going to bed each night after a long day with the kids. I love walking down the road greeting the neighbor children and hearing them call out "muzungu." Yes, I even love the food. When I'm at home I wear Africa on my shirt, and hanging from a chain around my neck, but I carry it in my heart, and there it will stay forever! Africa is a part of me and I a part of Africa. I may be an American, but I claim Africa as my homeland and it's people as my people. This is where I belong for as long as God continues to call me back.

 "See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared." Exodus 23: 20
"For the glory of God!"

3 comments:

  1. Hi there :) just wanted to let you know that someone is reading your blog even though there aren't any comments. Missing you, love hear your heart but selfishly saddened by the thought of somewhere else feeling like your home. Neyville is less full without you. Looking forward to your returns.
    Love you
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelbie this is Steven Duncan I am encouragef by reading your posts. May the Lord continue to use you and may His Spirit res strongly in your heart. Let not mercy and truth forsake you bind them around your neck and write them upon the tablet of your heart. I would love it if you could keep me up to date on how things are going out there for you. Heres my email stevenduncan15@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! Just wanted to tell you I just found your blog and am loving it! I have been to Zambia a few times myself and fell in love with the people as well! I love how you write your blog and keep it centered on Christ! I think that is all He needs from you is your continued willingness for Him to do great things thru you! :) Keep the Zambia posts comin'!

    ReplyDelete